Friday, March 9, 2012

February Catchup

Ok, I'm not sure why I haven't updated in a month and a half. I think I just got burnt out on everything. I was keeping up on my blog, doing my 365 day photo challenge, cleaning, working, and more...and at the end of January I just wanted to relax.

Here's a secret for you that I'll let you in on...I can't do it all. Did you hear that? I'm not perfect. I can't do it all.

I have friends that think I do it all. I don't.

My house isn't always clean. Don't bother just dropping in because I'll apologize profusely about it not being perfect, that is unless you come the day after the maid comes. Diana (the maid) gives me sanity. I know that after she leaves my house my stay clean for ONE DAY - maybe.

Maybe I need to be harder on the boys. Make them more responsible for picking up messes. I sure try but it seems I just can't keep up with them constantly. Possibly I don't have the energy to keep up with them. That is probably it.

So lately I've been doing pretty much bare minimum at home. I relax, which is completely NOT like me. We moved the tv into our bedroom from the guest room. I then found a 32" tv on freecycle so we took the 27" we had in the living room and put that in my room. The 32" tv went into the living room. Ever since I've been hibernating in my bedroom watching tv, playing on my phone or playing on the pc, relaxing.

Today I realized I can't get on demand using the receiver in my bedroom because it's not a dvr. So I asked Joe if he could help me move the dvr box from the living room (it was a dvr) to my bedroom, and the non-dvr box from my bedroom into the living room. I accomplished that feat...and now I still don't have on-demand because it takes up to 24 hours to download the selections. Sigh.

The other big things from the past month - I was cleaning one day and realized one of the cats peed in every corner upstairs...which affected the carpet in each room. We had carpet priced out but had neighbors over and they said they can not smell it since I've cleaned the carpeting. I plan to go ahead and steam clean the carpet in each room upstairs. In the meantime we have locked Alex in my room/bathroom so we can keep an eye on him. He hasn't done anything since then. We are assuming that he was the one doing it due to a new cat being outside who would pee on our back door. Since we isolated him to our room he no longer is taunted by our other cat or the cats outside. He's chilled out a lot and is a LOT more affectionate and seems much happier. We do have to replace the wall and wallpaper in our dining room though because the cat peed on the wall. I hate the wallpaper in that room anyhow.

So the big thing was we were going to replace the entire upstairs with new carpet but we are holding off for now since we think we cleaned the issue and took care of the root of the problem. New carpeting for upstairs would have cost at least $3000+.

The other big thing that happened was I flew back to Michigan last week because my best friend Jenny's little brother passed away. He slipped on some slippery steps and broke his neck and died instantly. I flew in on Tuesday late that night. My mother picked me up.

Wednesday I woke up to my dad making breakfast. My brother came over with my niece a little after that and stayed for awhile. It was so nice to see her. She's so adorable. Afterwards dad and I went thrift store shopping and shopped for 2 1/2 hours! I found a bunch of stuff for the kids and I. We drove home and mom had made dinner. Dad and I watched Hugo. After Jenny came and we went shopping at my favorite store, Meijer. She said she just needed to get out of planning the funeral, so we went to meijer and goofed off. She tried on all the little kids sunglasses and we laughed hysterically. Then we actually did real shopping. We left and then I had her go to CVS. I needed some wax for my braces.

Thursday I got up and made myself breakfast. I gathered the chicken's eggs after that. Then I drove to the outlet mall and bought a bunch of clothes for my niece for her birthday from Children's Place. Then I drove to the funeral home for the two viewings. I was there at 2pm-4pm. We left around 5pm to get a quick drink and appetizer. Back to the funeral home about 6pm and between 6-8pm about 600 people came through. I was there for Jenny whenever she needed me. After 8pm we didn't end up leaving until about 9pm. A bunch of us left to get drinks and dinner.

Friday was the funeral. I woke, showered and ran out the door to be at the funeral by 10am. After the funeral we all drove to the cemetery. Jenny's brother loved tractors so they had a tractor and trailer at my parent's house, which is a few miles from the cemetery and they stopped and took the casket out of the hearse at my parent's house, loaded it on the tractor trailer and then drove the trailer to the cemetery. It was so sad. We were burying her brother just down the street from where we all grew up. I used to ride my bike to the cemetery when I was a kid to see all the old tombstones. I never thought I'd be there burying her 32 year old brother...and as her mother said, "Briana, you gave him his first french kiss." All those memories...growing up down the street, hanging with her, her brother and having it be a place I used to play...I lost it and broke down crying. My friend, Margie, from high school brought a box of tissues, which was a good thing because I used quite a few tissues from it.

I drove back to my parent's house where they left the tractor and trailer and then Jenny told me to leave my dad's car and she'd drive me.

We then went to the wake. It was nice because I saw a few more people from high school I haven't seen in over 15 years. It was decided that all my friends needed to go out for a smoke break. Out of 6 of us, I was the ONLY one who wasn't smoking. It was crazy. Margie cracked me up. She had her red stag rum in the car and was drinking it. Not only that but she was sharing it at the funeral the day before. She cracks me up. After everyone was smoking it was decided we needed more alcohol and we all drove to the party store to get some. I bought some of my own red stag and when we got back to the wake we talked and drank in the parking lot. By the time we decided to go back in nearly everyone had left so we helped Jenny load all the plants into her car so we could take them home.

We drove back to Jenny's house and dropped them all off. Then we drove over to her dad's house for his party. We stayed until about 2am. I drank quite a bit and had a lot of fun hanging out with everyone. It was so nice to let lose and have a good time with friends.

When I got home that night my mom was up, which made me feel like a teenager all over again - especially since I was carded earlier that day. She wanted to let me know that they didn't have power because the high winds knocked it out. I was upset I couldn't wash my face since there was no running water. I pretty much passed out with my makeup on...

Saturday my brother, Greg, came over with his wife, Audrey, and my niece, Maeve. It was so nice to see them again. Greg was able to get the generator going so we finally had running water. We could flush the toilet! I could take a shower! Greg stayed awhile and then my dad came home from work and we drove to another thrift store where I bought a bunch more clothes, mostly for the kids. Dad and I then had dinner at a Coney Island in town and it was nice to spend the day with my dad. I really missed him.

Later that evening I saw Jenny one more time when I met her family for dinner. It was a nice dinner and then I had to say goodbye.

Came home and we still had no power. Using the bathroom in candlelight is really no fun. I had to pick all my bags.

The next morning came too fast and I was on a plane flying back to Dallas.

The funniest part of the trip was someone asked my friend Margie, since we have similar eyes, if I was her sister, or daughter. Margie looked at her and said, 'Hey! We're the same fricking age!' Too funny.

It was a great visit. I needed to see my parents. I needed to see my friends and Jenny. I needed the break.

No comments: