Sunday, December 4, 2011

Kroger Private Selection Frozen Items

I love being a bzzagent. I get all sorts of free samples to share with my friends.

The latest samples we got to try are the Kroger Private Selection frozen items. The private selection is their brand of, what I would call ‘elite’, items. These are your gourmet type items and you will pay a little more for them but the have great quality.

-------------

Pizzas: Private Selection™ Frozen Pizza (Around $5) is set with oval-shaped crust that is baked in an Italian marble oven to create a thin and flaky base for authentic, high-quality ingredients. Mouth-watering offerings include BBQ Chicken, Margherita, Roasted Vegetable and Pepperoni

I bought one of the pizza’s and I honestly didn’t have high hopes for it. I guess I’m so used to being let down by off versions off Digorno that I wasn’t expecting much.

Cropped-PS-Marg-Napolitana

From Kroger’s website: New Private Selection frozen pizzas are a convenient way to reward your sense of good taste with quality ingredients and amazing flavors.  Each pizza begins with an oval crust baked in a stone hearth marble oven.  The resulting crisp, flaky, thin crust is the delicious base for fine, authentic sauces and ingredients.  Go classic with our Margherita Napolitana Pizza, topped with halved grape tomatoes, pearlini mozzarella, basil, and Stravecchio parmesan cheese.  Experience our Fire Roasted Vegetable Pizza’s delicate Italian tomato sauce, roasted zucchini, garlic, red and green peppers, yellow onion, mozzarella, and basil.  Either delicious meatless variety is ready in under 10 minutes.

Now the pizza that I tried was the Pepperoni and Roasted Garlic pizza. they also have a Barbeque Chicken pizza that is not listed above. The website is a little out of date.

I have to say – the pizza was EXCELLENT. It tasted so good. It did not taste like cardboard. You could taste the pieces of garlic and it was great quality cheese. My husband and I agreed – this was a thumbs up! I would buy this again.

---------------

Off to try the appetizer:

Private Selection® Frozen Appetizers ($3 - $7) Individually handcrafted and filled with unique combinations of high-quality, savory ingredients. Hand-crafted offerings include Mediterranean Inspired Hors D'Oeuvres collection, Southwestern Style Chicken Trumpets, Mushroom Walnut Profiteroles, Spanakopita.

I tried the Southwestern Style Chicken Trumpets. These had a very strong pepper flavor that I thought my husband would be turned off about. At first he said he wasn’t so sure about them and then he got out a little salsa and told me they were excellent. I had mine with ranch and these were great.

I shared these with the girls that came over for scrapbooking and they liked them too.

One of my friends said that the Mediterranean Inspired Hors D’Oeuvers was excellent.

These were a bit pricy at $7 but were very good. I loved them! I felt the price was a bit high. If they were $4 it would make a bit more sense for the amount you get.

----------------

Dessert:

Private Selection® Frozen Desserts ($3 - $5) have rich, delicious flavors, making them a divine indulgence. Decadent treats include Blueberry Peach Panna Cotta, Northern Spy Apple Crisp, Pineapple Upside Down Cake and a wide selection of Ice Creams (like Strawberry Harvest, Vanilla Bean and SeaSalt Caramel)

I tried the Northern Spy Apple Crisp. OMG this was HEAVEN. The clouds opened up and the rays from Heaven shined down. Take these out of the oven and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. They were AMAZING!!!!  I believe ours was about $3 and it came with two apple pies crisps to cook. I’d buy these again.

-----------------------

Sampling Event! On December 10th, select Kroger affiliated stores will be hosting an in-store sampling of Private Selection pizza and ice cream.

No comments: