Tuesday, November 1, 2011

8/16 Happy birthday to ME

Joe had the best idea about a birthday gift this year. He suggested I get a Nook reader (Nook color to be exact). I guess he heard you can play games on it too. I did some research and I guess you can only play limited games that barnes and noble has in it’s store.

Well, not really.

Why?

Because I’m a nerd. There I said it. A big geek. DORK…get the picture?

2011-08-16_20-25-04_223My Nook color running CM7

I did a ‘little’ research and found out I could blow away the operating system on the nook and install the android operating system on it.

I’ve already rooted my phone (which means I customized the version of software on my phone so I have superuser access to make it faster, removed files I don’t want, etc).

I figured the nook would be a cinch. It actually is really easy. Google ROOT COLOR NOOK and you will find out how to do it.

I chose to put the rom (customized operating system) on my nook color called CM7. CynagenMod 7. I would NOT recommend putting this on your phone. It has a few bugs and gps and your camera don’t work. On the color nook you don’t use a camera or gps, so it didn’t matter. CM7 runs really well on the nook.

Here you can see my nook color coming up with CM7. I have to say I think it’s pretty CRAPPY of B&N to limit the out of the box nook color to only downloading android apps exclusively from their store, and every single one of them you have to pay for. On the regular android market most of these apps are FREE. BIG FAIL B&N.

So I showed them… I rooted my nook and installed CM7 and now I have a fully functioning Android tablet that has the ability to read books.

Here is the main screen after I installed it. I have to say my friend’s daughter thinks I’m pretty cool since I’m so techie!

I had to prove to myself I could do it. So far I’ve gotten really good at rebuilding and rooting my nook color and my Droid X!

2011-08-16_20-25-43_566

No comments: