Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My poor kiddo

Joey woke today before 6am and I told both Justin and Joey to go back to sleep. It was way to early to get up and sent both of them back to bed.

At 7:15 I got up to get Joey ready for school and found he was already up. He told me his 'eyes burned'. I felt his head and he was burning up. Took his temp and it was 101.3. Took mine and it was 100.1.

He just curled up on the couch and didn't move. By 9am his temp went up to 103.1. Time to break out the motrin. I gave him some and about 30 minutes later he didn't look so miserable.

After an 11am trip to the doctor it was confirmed Joey had the flu. Before you ask, no he didn't have the flu shot. On that note his doctor said about 1/2 the cases she had the patients DID have the flu shot...so for some they were still getting the flu anyhow with the shot.

He ate a few cookies (the only thing he wanted today), took his medicine and then laid down for a nap. He woke up puking and then puked down the hallway and managed to find me. Poor kiddo! I had to strip the bed, strip him down and put him in the shower. He obviously felt a lot better in the shower because he stayed in there a long time. When he came out he had the chills and turned blue. It scared the hell out of me. He's fine, but his fever spiked at that time again and he needed to get dressed and get under the blankets again. I had to give him more motrin. My poor kiddo just had it rough today!

Justin, on the other hand, had a wonderful day with daddy after he got home from school. Joe took him to the park down the street and I guess he's been practicing the monkey bars because Joe said he got on them and swung to the other side like a monkey - trying to show off to a little girl that was at the park! Ha! I love it when we spend a little extra time with our little man. I never want him to feel like we favor Joey over him. Joey does all the sports and a lot of the homework because he's older. We try to do things for Justin like the park, or one on one time and we've gotten him his own homework to work on (he asks for it and gets mad when we forget!) He wants to be just like his big brother and gets mad when his brother gets to do homework and he doesn't! We work on letters, sounds and cutting and tracing. He's such a sweetie.

Joey told me today, 'Mom, why did I have to get sick? I WANT to go to school!" I hope his love of school continues as he gets older.

This January has been much milder in temperature than last year. We've been in the 40s, 50s and 60s. Last year in January here was very cold. It's been nice to have mild temperatures. It seems that when it's nice outside my mood is happier. When it's cold outside, I get a little bitter. Can you imagine my attitude when I lived in Michigan during the winter time? I LIVED for the days I could open a window and air out my house!

So Joe and I have a deal. We want to run a 10k in May. If we do, we promised ourselves a nice trip to San Antonio. We've never been that far south of Dallas so this would be a fun trip we've been wanting to take. So Joe just joined Cooper where I work out and he loves it and we've been running together a few times a week working ourselves up to running a 10k. I've done a 5k a few years ago but Joe and I decided to up our goal to prove to ourselves we can do it. So watch for updates!





No comments: