Thursday, October 9, 2008

A 'Go Me' moment!

I remember it vividly. My girlfriend Caroline just started running out of the blue and I decided last summer, heck, I can do this too. I went to the local running shop and $150 later for good shoes and a running bra with good support (lol) I was ready to start running.

I started slow during lunch hour at work. At first I was lucky to even get a MILE without keeling over and dying.

Then I spent another $100 and bought myself a GPS watch and heart monitor - so I could at least see how far I was running!

I ran last summer and then stopped. I hated it. I was running by myself, and it was boring. No one wanted to join me and it was starting to get colder. I did NOT want to be a 'snow' runner. No thanks.

So I just let my running slip by the wayside.

Then when I moved to Texas running is what brought me to be such good friends with Desiree. I don't even how it came up but we both found out we ran and decide to start going together.

At first we did an ok job. I was slow from not going all winter. Then I had my TVT surgery. That had me with NO exercise at all for 6 straight weeks. I thought I was going to die. It killed me watching Desiree pick up another running partner while I was on the 'no exercise' orders from my doctor. I swore she was going to replace me - especially since she was talking about these long runs her new partner was going on with her. I was so jealous - there I said it!

Finally those 6 weeks was up and I was not only ready to run, but to test out my 'fix' so to speak. The TVT surgery was successful. I was able to run without any 'leaking' - and that was a miracle. I am so thankful that worked out for me.

So now today, I ran 4.7 miles - oh yes I did and I had a really good pace going and I did not even tire at all. A year ago today I would have thought you were on crack to even suggest that I could do that.

Desiree thought for sure when I took off ahead of her half way through the running (about 2.5 miles in) that I would eventually stop and complain I shouldn't have gone so fast.

Nope, that did not happen. I think I've finally conditioned my body to go and I mean GO...! I ran 4.7 miles and even up until the end, I could have kept going. She said she didn't have a clue what got into me tonight. I kept pushing her - let's go further! I felt so good. Finally - I finally got over that running hump and feel good while doing it now.

That is my 'Go Me' moment. I am seriously so proud. I almost ran 5 miles!!! Now if only I can get this weight off...that said my first week on nutrisystem I lost 4.5 lbs. I hope to see a lot less of me this Christmas! :)

Watch out. I ran just under an hour today. My next goal is to run for an hour. The next goal after that is to get to 5 miles - then I want to get to a little over 6 - just enough to say I could run a 10k if I really wanted!!!

So anyhow - one of my good friends told me that I don't have a lot of photos of me and that I should take a few. So I pulled out the good ole tripod today and my remote control and took a few photos of myself. I have to say they look pretty decent for me to be taking them on my own! :) Anyhow, there I am! :)

 
  
 
Have a good Friday! :)

5 comments:

oº˚ Queen Bee ˚ºo said...

Good for you --I'm going to start running after the first of the year! I can't wait I use to run all the time. I had total bladder reconstruction, I just wish my sugery was as simple as yours was! Thanks for sharing -- much love

Anissa

Melissa said...

That is awesome Bri! Congrats!!

Courtney said...

Congratulations, that is AWESOME!!! Go you!!! Great self-portraits too!

Seven Danforth's said...

Nice pics...Go YOU on Running...awsome!

lynn said...

Good for you. I'm not so fond of running but I wish I could get in the habit of walking regularly! Great job on the self portraits. Thanks for stopping by, hope to see you again soon!