Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fun...2.) Begin with “I wish someone told me…”

So I found this website - Mama's Losin It and she has journaling challenges each week. I love those type of things, so here is my challenge I wanted to take.

2.) Begin with “I wish someone told me…”


I wish someone would have told me how fast time goes by and I really took the time to listen.

I remember back in high school people telling me these would be the best days of my life. I thought they were crazy. I remember I just wanted out of high school. The constant homework, the growing pains of living with love and heartbreak, working a job, trying to figure myself out and trying to find time for naps (which I sooo lived for) was just all too much. I was ready to move on with my life.

Enter in college. Again - everyone says to enjoy life, this is the best time of your life. Enjoy it before you actually have to go into the real world and work a job.

I ignored all of their advice. I wanted OUT - I wanted that real job. I didn't want to study for exams anymore. I wanted a real job where I could put all my learning to use and make some real money.

So I'm now out in the real world and I have a job. I'm married with children and people say, 'Don't kids grow fast. They will grow up before your eyes'. I heard this growing up all the time - "Wow, look at how much you grew'. All I could think about was how crazy my family was since they had just seen me a month ago!

When I was changing diapers and getting up during the night, I would have said, 'Yeah right'. It seemed to last forever! Kids grow fast, hardly!

But now Joey isn't a baby anymore. He's almost 5. He's big enough now to go outside and play without me. He's old enough to dress himself and to feed himself.

I look back, High school was one of the best times of my life. It was a time for me to figure out who I was. College was great too - I moved off on my own, I didn't have a real job, taxes to pay, a real mortgage payment, etc.

Now I look back at my kids and I see them growing before my eyes. I look back at baby photos and can't believe 'how fast they grew'.

I often think back on the advice that I ignored and ask myself why I didn't listen sooner and why I always have to learn the 'hard way'.


14 comments:

Lorie said...

I too wish that I would of listened when my parent's told me how fast life really goes by. Seems like the entire time I was a kid, I couldn't wait to be an adult. Now, I'm an adult and would give anything to go back to being a kid.

Really great post!

Becky said...

They really do grow too fast. ANd I wish I were a kid so I could play WITH them.

Susie said...

Because if you didn't learn things "the hard way", you wouldn't be who you are today:-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving such sweet comments.

Shanna said...

This is so true! It's HARD to live in the moment!!

Denise said...

Okay...I just posted a comment and realized I didn't type the word verification correctly before I clicked out of your page!!! GRRR!

At any rate...

I too wish someone would have told me this! Well...they did actually...I just didn't listen. The older I get the more I realize how short life really is! I just had a baby last year. I don't quite get how a newborn is now learning to walk! Her first year just FLEW by.

Elena said...

So true, so true. And it seems that time only speeds up with every year. My oldset is turning 10 in a week and I can hardly believe it. It freaks me out and makes me sad to know how fast the 1st 10 years went because I know the next 10 will only go faster and then she'll be gone.

Weeksie50 said...

Oh, I love this post..
I tried to write one like this too.. but I kept telling myself.. "You have been told this" You just chose not to listen..ugh..

Great list and Oh, so true.

Brandy said...

There are a million things that I wished I would have listened to when I was younger, but I guess that old say Live and Learn suits me best.

Great Post!

sassy stephanie said...

Oh my gosh. I know what you mean. I can really relate to the children thing, esp. When I was preggo with my first, everyone tells you to enjoy it, enjoy them, "they grow up so fast". I heard it over and over but until I was smack dab in the middle of it, I didn't truly understand how fast time does fly. *sigh*

Thanks for stopping by today! I love your little lion in your header...too cute!

Michelle said...

I was just talking with a friend about ditching my career to stay at home with my kids. The time has flown by!

Jenni said...

This is soo true. But I wonder if ANYONE gets it while they are there.

Dawn@Embracing the Ordinary Life said...

I do believe it's listening that we all need to do better...Time goes by and we just have to embrace every single moment...I'm close to 40, and I remember when I thought 30 was old...geez...time definetly went by fast for me!!

Mama's Losin' It said...

Thanks for playing! This was a great one. It's so true...we never listen. Why can't we just slow things down a bit...I don't want my kids to grow up too fast.

Melissa said...

Tell me about it. I think about how I may never be able to do it again and I don't want the baby stage to end!