Sunday, August 31, 2008

Welcome to Texas Y'all!

Welcome if you are dropping by today from Blogging from Around the World! I'm sooo excited to MEET you and have you drop by! Pull up a chair and get comfy. I'm ready to talk your ear off. Ok, not the case but I DO love to talk (and I've been tweaking this post for over a week!!) :) They say I can talk the handle off a door! Ha! At least you won't be bored! :)

Honestly, I feel that I could tell you a book about Michigan and about squat about Texas since I just moved here in January due to dh's job relocation - YET I thought to myself, since you are NEW to Texas and I'm NEW to Texas I knew exactly what gift I was going to give you - the differences between Texas and Michigan.

Well I can tell you what Texas (well at least my region of Texas - Dallas) is not - it's not desert with rolling sagebrush, scorpions and longhorn cow skulls laying on the ground with a vulture sitting on top. It's not full of spiky cactus and what you would think of the typical desert. As sad as it sounds - that is what I thought. I've led such a sheltered life! I need to get out more! LOL. By the way - that is me near a longhorn cattle sculpture made of twigs and ivy!

Here is the city of Dallas Texas - where I hail from (I'm actually in North Dallas). See the green building? The building to the right that has small lights on top that look like half circles is where my dh works. So cool seeing it on the skyline! :)

Hey, sometimes it takes someone who is new to something to find differences in things others take for granted. So kick back, enjoy some yummy BBQ, Tex-Mex, or a mesquite smoked steak (my fav!) and learn a bit about Texas AND Michigan - oh and view this with a sense of humor. No feelings were hurt in the process of making this ;)


Texas Michigan
Y'all - A greeting that EVERYONE really does say to
mean - 'All of you'. Ie. You all - y'all.
Y'all - A funny thing Texans say to mean 'You guys'.
Fixin' - Means going to do something - Ie. I'm fixin
to go to the store. I'm fixin to leave the state. Not used everywhere,
especially not that often in the Dallas area, but used more noticeably
outside the city limits.
Fixin' - Something people do when something is 'broken'.
Eh - Something you say in a Dentist chair. Eh - Something you say at the end of a sentence that means, 'You got it?'. Influenced heavily by our Canada neighbors.
It's very hot most of the year. 90 degrees is warm. 110 is hot. 60 degrees is cold. Don't even mention 20 degrees. It's very cold most of the year. 90 degrees is hot. Don't even mention 110 degrees. 60 degrees is great. 50 degrees the kids still wear shorts to school. 20 degrees is cold.
If it snows the entire city shuts down, even if it's a FLAKE. It needs to snow about 4 feet for them to shut down school, let alone a city.
If there is a thunderstorm, you see a ton of lightening, but
don't hear much thunder.
When there is a thunderstorm, you see lightening, and you hear thunder RIGHT after.
There are tons of tollways. I don't think we have ANY tollways.
Everything here is named after the president Bush. There
is a President Bush Freeway nearby my house, for example.
Nothing is named after Bush to my knowledge.
Chick-fil-a and Sonic are restaurants, yummy ones at that. Chick-fil-a may be mistaken for a chicken, and Sonic for the video game. Sonic may exist in one or two locations, but Chick-fil-a is a southern thing. Who eats chicken biscuits for breakfast?
Tex-Mex is a yummy type of restaurant in Texas that combines
the option of ordering Steaks or Mexican.
Tex-Mex sounds like a person who is Mexican that lives in Texas.
Chili is something you eat that is usually very spicy. You do not have Chili Cheese fries or Chili Hot Dogs (I've since learned that it really is a 'Michigan' or at least Northern thing. Chili may be something you put on a hot dog or fries. YUMMMM.
CR - it's a country road. CR - could be the beginning spelling of CR'ap.
U-turns are allowed everywhere (except in the rare case where there is a sign prohibiting it). U-turns are not allowed.
There is no state income tax, but sales tax is 8.25%. There IS state income tax (and some cities have their own income taxes too like Detroit), yet the sales tax is 6%.
Alley is a place that is behind your home in which you drive
your car into your garage. (In most cases).
Alleys are places that people associate with 'dark' things from movies.
Soda. You ask for pop around here and they look at you like you're crazy. It's NOT soda, it's POP.
Speed Limit is generally 60 on highway. Speed limit is 70 mph on highway (much better!)
Gas is not as expensive as everywhere else partly due to the president owning so much stock in gas (or so I hear) :). Gas is at least .20 more expensive than Texas because of a state 'gas tax'.
It's Sunny ALL the time. It's cloudy most of the time.
There are huge fields in the middle of a bustling city. There are no fields or cows grazing in a field in the middle
of the city.
In most grocery stores, the cart goes on one side of the
conveyor belt and the person who pays goes on the other side. The cashier will unload the basket, somewhat like how Costco does it.
In most grocery stores, the cart and the person go in one lane and the customer unloads the basket.
Southern Hospitality - EVERYONE is nice here. Well I love Michiganders (since I lived there for 29 years)
but people in Texas are nice all over, where many people in Michigan don't
say hi or look you in the eye. It used to drive me nuts because I'm very
friendly!
A recent article stated that Dallas/Fort Worth had the
lowest rate of unemployment in the USA.
A recent article recently stated that Detroit (Michigan) has the highest rate of unemployment.
Everyone here is proud to be a Texan. You see bumper stickers all over that say things like 'Born in Texas, Raised by Texans' oh and my all time favorite - 'I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could'. Now I need that for my car! LOL Well, it seems you either love or hate Michigan. I don't see bumper stickers that say 'I love Michigan'.
You pretty much have to do the hokey pokey in order to get
your new license plates. Your plates and your licenses are in different buildings
and you need to get one before the other. It's an all day affair. Ridiculous!
It's easy to get a driver license and plates - you go to
your secretary of state office.
Football is huge - especially the rivalry between the
Oklahoma Sooners and the Texas Longhorns.
Football is huge - esp the rivalry between Michigan and Ohio State.
Dallas Cowboys have cheerleaders. Detroit Lions have no cheerleaders (and they suck - every year).
School starts before Labor Day- It's the state law that school must start AFTER Labor Day so
it does not impact tourism.


Ok, so after all of that, here is what I love/miss.

Michigan -
I miss fall. I will miss not being able to go to apple orchards and get the soft, warm, yummy apple cider doughnuts sprinkled with cinnamon.
I miss the lakes and water.

Texas -
I miss my family (they're in Michigan).
I love the hot weather. I love how it's warm nearly year round!
I love not having snow.

So there you have it - the greatest differences between Texans and Michiganders.

If you visit I hear the Fort Worth zoo is tons better than the Dallas Zoo and if you like to shop - visit the galleria - shown to the right. It houses over 200 stores and restaurants, a skating rink and glass vaulted ceilings.

Here's a few misc facts I bet you didn't know (and frankly, either did I!). I bet Debbie didn't think this would turn out to be a learning opportunity for the bloggers who signed up for this! LOL.
  • More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States.
  • Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.(I know some people here that really do think that Texas should be it's own country and has talked openly about it!).
  • Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.
  • Austin is considered the live music capital of the world.
  • Professional sports teams include the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Houston Astros, Houston Comets, Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs, and Texas Rangers. (Did I tell you my neighbor used to be a Cowboys Cheerleader and a Maverick's Dancer?)
  • Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
  • Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies,
  • The armadillo is the official state mammal.(And you see them dead on the side of the road all the time - I remember the first time I saw one on the side of the road - I was so excited to see my first (dead) armadillo - I even blogged about it! Ha!).
  • Texas possesses three of the top ten most populous cities in the United States. These towns are Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio.(I live in Dallas!).
  • It's the second largest state.
  • The Dallas-Fort Worth area has more residents - 5,221,801 - than 31 U.S. states. For example, Arizona has about 5.1 million residents.

I hope you enjoyed your visit.
Please come back to visit me soon!
*HUGS!!!*

61 comments:

Melissa said...

Great post Bri! Loved learning all of that info.

~Janet~ said...

Yeah for your BATW day! It is so much fun checking on the new comments! Enjoy!

Shannon said...

Wow, great info!

Yes, Chick-fil-A is a southern thing... and probably my favorite thing about living in the South! LOL!

Enjoy your BATW day ")

Cant Hardly Wait said...

Ahhh, Texas. I lived there for a year. I was pregnant and had my son that year. Unfortunately, I lived in the worst place ever in Texas. El Paso. My husband was stationed at Fort Bliss. Now I live in Louisiana, and I was born and raised in New York. So I know what you mean by all those differences, except for "Eh". Love the blooooggggg.

Marla said...

fantastic post! i lived in MI a for my first 15 years... so i love the comparison

chellekay said...

great post! I loved reading the differences in the stated

Julie said...

Wow, that was very informative. Thanks for sharing! I live in Hungary now and I miss Chick-fil-a... so yummy!!!

Rela Pantaleon-Manigsaca said...

Hi fellow recent Texas transplant!

Technically, I am in the "music capital of the world" but since were are past city limits, I'm really from that part where there are "scorpions and longhorns...(and) vultures"

Love your post!

Susie said...

Greetings from Wisconsin. I hope you are having fun on your day in the sun. Great comparision and cool information:-)

Becky Welch said...

Great post!! I am a born and somewhat raised Texan (San Antonio) who married a fake Texan (Texarkana!). The Ft. Worth Zoo is great and on Wednesdays it is $5!! Go Rangers and UT Longhorns!! Thanks for letting us stop by and enjoy the longhorn state!

Patti said...

Here from Texas! Great post!!

Janean Campbell said...

What a wonderful compare and contrast post about the two states...I'll have to check back to your site often.

Melissa said...

There aren't Chik-Fil-A's in Michigan? It must be because I've lived in the south that I knew what most of the "southern specific" things were. hehehe

Great post and I really like the idea of the reason you posted!

Debbie said...

Hi Brianna! I need to come back and read this a little later...just checking in!

sassy stephanie said...

Yee haw and howdy!
Hope you are enjoying the big D! I'm down here near Htown. Texas lingo darlin'. Gettin' used to it yet?

Leslie said...

Oh how I miss Chic-fil-a! Loved this post, and yes I agree. I think Dallas is great. Lots of people there! Thanks for sharing all this wonderful info!

Dawn said...

Great post! I loved the comparision!!! It must be quite a culture shock to move from Michigan to Texas!

Jen said...

That was a great post, being here in Michigan myself, I really enjoyed. Its nice to learn about different places.
Nice to 'meet' you.

Lynda said...

What a nice tour from a new Texan. Stay a little longer and we'll have you completely trapped! In a good way, of course :-)

Melissa Lester said...

Wow, it was neat to learn all those differences. Dallas seems like such a neat place to visit! My husband drove there from our home in Alabama with our middle two children a couple of summers ago to attend his uncle's funeral. The children were so good on the trip that when he got to their hotel, Joe told them they could have a treat. Christian, who was 4 at the time, brightened and asked, "Do they have ice cream sandwiches in Texas?" He and younger sis Mary Ashley were so proud to come back sporting cowboy swaggers because they had been to Texas!

Elena said...

This was so fun. I loved it. My mom was born and raised in Dallas and now lives in Idaho. She's still Texan through and through though. I love this BATW thing, I learn so much.

Ashley said...

Wow! I never thought I'd learn so much about Texas. it seems you've got it down. Welcome to the South! Enjoy that Chik-fil-a. Although I don't eat it that often, I can't imagine life without it. Hmm.... is it lunch time yet?

Gina said...

Wow, girl! You did your homework on this one! Happy BATW day.
I had the hardest time with "Fixin'" in GA. That and Buggy- you know where you put your groceries as you walk around the store.

Dawn@Embracing the Ordinary Life said...

Great info!!!

Joy in the Burbs... said...

Welcome to Texas! It's a great state isn't it. I'm glad your liking your new home. I've been here for 7 years and love it. You wrote a great post. Fun to read.

Joy from Houston via BATW.

Tara said...

Stopping in from Nebraska. Great post - I learned a lot about both states! I hope you enjoy your BATW day!!

Ronnica said...

To be honest, I don't really care for Texas. But Dallas has been my favorite. I went to school at OU, so I knew a TON of people from there.

Caroline said...

What a great post about Texas for someone who just moved there recently. I have visited your great new state once and was in the Dallas Area (Flower Mound) to be exact. I think I went to the galleria and the Fort Worth Zoo, and we even checked out Las Colinas where the horse sculptures are. Your kids would love that. Living in NC, Chick-Fil-A is a staple and you should try the chicken biscuit, it is a must have. Love me some C-F-A. Mmmmm. Makes me hungry just typing about it. Happy BATW day! You have a great blog!

Melisa said...

Hi! Great post: I loved the comparisons between TX and MI. Thanks for the tour!

(I'm here via BATW from Illinois)

Take care!

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Michigan sure sounds an awful lot like Minnesota!!!

I've been to Texas once... we drove the whole width of it when moving... from the east up to Dalls was pretty... after that it was hot, flat, dusty, and you could only get Hispanic music on the radio.

Lady Dorothy said...

Wow, my head is spinning with all that information!

I've been to Texas a few times (my daughter went to school there and we've driven through, too, on our way somewhere else). What amazed me was that everyone is infatuated with the shape of their state! LOL It is everywhere! The bathroom sink in McDonald's was in the shape of Texas!

Kendra said...

Swung over from BATW...

Great post! I liked the Michigan-Texas comparion chart. :-) And I'm like you - I lived my whole life in one state, now I live in another where I don't know as much of the history and oddities.

I've been to Texas once - San Antonio a few years ago - but one thing that really impressed me is how proud the people are about Texas. I've not come across that level of pride in other states I've lived in/visited. Not that no one else is proud of their state, it's just not the same as what Texans feel for Texas.

Sidney said...

Well, howdy from a native Texan!

Great info, by the way!!

Mekhismom said...

Wow Briana! This is a post chock full a information. Thanks for the tour.

Melissa B. said...

Hey there! Native Dallasite here!! Hillcrest High School Panther, to be exact. Just LOVE your list of Texanisms & Michiganisms. Hope you're enjoying your time in the Lone Star State. Have you had any good Mexican food yet?

Brian and Staci said...

Greetings from your neighbor...Ms. Oklahoma!!! Wow! What a great...and funny and informative post! You gotta love "Southern Hospitality!" I do love it that people are so nice around our neck of the woods :) I hope you have a great day in the spotlight! Thanks for all the great comparisons! Nice to meet ya!

TheMama said...

Michigan to Texas?

Wow, talk about polar opposites!

Hi from MA, and I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but there are Chick-fil-A's up here too now. Mostly in NH, and they are new, but those weird cow commercials are everywhere lately!

Kat said...

Wow. I had no idea I would get so much edumacation :-)

My best friend lives in San Antonio - and she sends the best Christmas gifts each year. Usually some sort of Texas ornament. I think I could do a Texas tree. And here in the 'burbs of Atlanta - there is just no reciprocation. I mean, I even have Texas doritos and pasta...

Glad you are enjoying your new home!

Shell said...

Fun and great post. I went to Dallas when I was a kid. I loved it and it such a wonderful city.

oº˚ Anissa ˚ºo said...

Loved your blog. Stopping in from Louisiana to Hi!

Aubrey said...

Wow! Great post. Thanks for sharing all that info on Texas/Michigan.

Coming by thur BATW!

Our Crazy Happy Family said...

Greetings from North Carolina! Thanks for the tour!

Nik said...

Oh goodness! Enjoy your BATW day!! I grew up in Dallas (well Richardson and Plano) before moving to TN in 91.

I certainly miss family there!

Nichole said...

Thanks for the great post! I learned a lot while here :o)

Veggie Mom said...

From Michigan to Big D? This Dallas gal KNOWS you were in for a big culture shock! Of course, Dallas would shock me, too, the way it's grown since I was a kid. Got a Great Giveaway Goin' On over at my place. Only 2 days left--drop by soon! Isn't BATW wonderful?

Frizzy and Bird said...

Wow! For bein new to TX you sure know a lot. I feel like I really let my fellow Californians down yesterday. I love your sense of humor and how you've chosen to introduce yourself and TX.

Kelly said...

Great post!!! Such a great idea...
It sounds like you are acclimating well to your new environment; I hope that's true and your making lots of new friends and surrogate family members!!

Wendy said...

I'm fixing to leave you a comment -- LOL! Awesome post. Ooh, you made me homesick for my Texas. Gotta correct one thing, though: the real Texas rivalry is between Texas A&M and the longhorns...it's a rivalry that goes WAY back, and still going on.

Go Ags! (whoop!)

Great post. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Wendy said...

Forgot to ask you -- have you tried Blue Bell ice cream yet?

:-)

Jennifer said...

Wow! Go TEXAS! Thanks for the info and glad to know you enjoy your new home.

CaraBee said...

I loved the side by side! So fun! Actually makes me want to visit both Michigan AND Texas. Thanks for the laughs1

m said...

Oh, we eat chili dogs here too! They've gotta have onions, cheese and usually mustard (or at least that's what I grew up on). Welcome to DFW!

Savvy Enid said...

I LOVE it, What a great Idea for bloggin!! I ask and see if i can get to blog about Puerto Rico.

Gramma 2 Many said...

What an interesting post. Loved it!! I lived in Georgia for four years. Much of what you say about Texas rang true for Georgia. Especially the friendly part.
Hope your day to shine was a fun one! I certainly enjoyed mine.

LaDonna said...

Love the post, great info. Congrats on yoour BATW day.

JourneytoFamily said...

Great post! Glad to learn so much about Dallas AND Michigan. And I've never seen an "I love Michigan" bumper sticker either... but have seen plenty of Texas ones.

Greetings from Los Angeles!

Bobbie said...

That was so funny! I LOVE chick fil A!! And Dallas has some really great shopping!!

Mamasphere said...

This was awesome! Loved the side by side comparisons.

~~tonya~~ said...

Stopping in from BATW from Louisiana. Just got power back up today so trying to catch up on the places I missed. Great post!! TFS

HeathahLee said...

I know I'm late, but I wanted to say "Hey!" from Mississippi! This was a great post! Very interesting comparisons, and I pity your family not being able to enjoy one of the culinary world's masterpieces...the Chick-fil-a chicken biscuit! : )

Tracy P. said...

Hi Briana! I missed the flight last week, but wanted to stop by anyway. You sound like you have adapted very well to your new surroundings--way to go! Will think of you when we go to the orchard. It's almost apple picking time in MN. AND almost time to turn on the heat. My impatiens almost bit the dust last night!