Monday, September 29, 2008

Joey must have had a bad day...

First of all - how do you like the new blog look? Yes, I'm getting ready for Halloween already. It is the last day of September tomorrow already!

I told one of my friends today they may have to admit me soon to the looney bin. Today was one of those days.

It all started this morning. Joey wanted some water and asked me to get it for him. Normally my response is something to the ring of 'You have two legs, you can get it yourself' but I was being NICE and said, 'Ok, I'll get you a glass'. See, I'm nice like that.

So I walk to the fridge and get his water, and then notice there is already a cup of water on the counter next to the fridge. This is normally ok but my IPOD radio is there and he knocked his cup of water over near it yesterday so there is no water drinks allowed on the counter anymore - just on our kitchen table. This is ALSO a good thing because he would sometimes get multiple different glasses and leave them all over the kitchen counters.

Me: 'Is this glass (the one next to the fridge) yours and why is it on the kitchen counter?'

Joey: 'That cup isn't mine'.

Me: 'Well maybe it's from yesterday. Either way it doesn't belong on the counter'.

I walk over, give him the NEW glass I filled with water, and pour the old glass of water into the kitchen sink and place the cup into the sink.

I look over at Joey and he's crying.

He sobs, 'Mommy, why did you dump out my glass? I wanted that glass!'

Me: 'You just told me that WASN'T your glass so I gave you the other glass I just poured'.

Joey continues to sob. I put him in a time out and my blood pressure is rising. He doesn't calm down for FIFTEEN MINUTES over a GLASS OF WATER!!!! I was ready to go shut myself in the bathroom and escape this crisis.

I seriously have no idea what that was all about. He wasn't tired, he just ate breakfast. See - I do something NICE for him and he has a fit. It makes me want to go back to my 'go get it yourself' attitude and we would have avoided this whole morning meltdown.

-------------------------

Fast forward to this afternoon:

Me: Joey, do you want a grilled cheese sandwich.

Joey: No.

Me: Ok, well I'm making me one.

I grill one up for me, pull it out of the pan, perfectly cooked (of course!) and then cut it in half. I go back to my office to work and eat 1/2 of the sandwich.

Joey comes into the office and states he wants a grilled cheese sandwich now.

Me: Last time I made you one you didn't eat it and threw it away. Try mine first. I didn't even eat from it. See if you like it. If you do, I'll make you your own.

Joey: (starts to cry)....I want my OWN. I don't want YOUR grilled cheese.

Me: (again...) Joey I want you to just TRY it. One bite. If you like it, I'll make you one. I'm not going to make one just to have you not eat it. 

Joey lays on the ground and whines for 5 minutes. I think around this time I threatened to EAT the rest of the now cooling sandwich staring at me on my plate.

He finally gets up, takes a bite, states he likes it and goes back to the kitchen for me to make it - EXCEPT I'm out of butter...so I just give him the rest of mine.

--------------

OH you think we are done? Oh not so.

I'm working (like I do!!) during the day. Joey rides his big wheel over (yes I'm easy going and allow it in my house!) and he says to me, 'Mommy, why are you on the computer so much?'

Me: I'm on the computer so much because I have a job. I work from home and I need to work during the day so I get paid.

Joey puts his head down on the handlebars on his big wheel and starts to cry.

I have no clue what was up with him today. Perhaps he just had a bad day. I don't know.

I ended up asking him if he wanted a hug. About three minutes after I asked him he ran over to me saying 'Hug Hug' and then crawled up on my lap and we hugged and cuddled. Then he was fine.

Yes, it was just one of those days. One of those that make you want to pull your hair out and at the same time makes you just love your child and his quirks even more...

7 comments:

Rhea said...

Darn, you really did have a rough day with him. Some days are like that.

I LOVE grilled cheese.

And now you have a new term in your house...no crying over spilled water. lol

Rhea said...

I hope no iPods were harmed in the making of this post! lol

Amy said...

I think kids just want to see how far they can push us. In fact, I KNOW they wanna see how far they can push us. Drives me nuts...just know, you are not alone.

Melissa said...

I hate those kinds of days. Frustrating!! I love the new look of your blog though!!

Melissa said...

Love the new look! :)

You know, Ethan has days like that, too, where I'm ready to pull my hair out and then I'll finally have enough and go, "WHAT IS GOING ON, ETHAN?!?!" Then he'll start crying and I feel bad so then he comes sits in my lap and we snuggle and then he's better.

I wish it were that easy when I was stressed. hehehe

Rhea said...

I forgot to add, love the Halloween decorations on the blog! Cute idea!

Courtney said...

OMG, just change the names and a few minor details and I could have written this post myself. We go through this kind of thing all the time with my 3 (almost 4) year old. I can't wait til he is past this stage. lol