Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike is coming...Ike is coming!

Well I'm very happy to say that I don't live in Houston. Boy I'd be getting my butt out of there! Desiree's sister lives in an area that has a mandatory evacuation and from what I hear she's left the area.

So anyhow, below they are saying that we'll get about 4-6 inches of rain and maybe 55 mph wind gusts. Whoopie do... Seriously people. 4-6 inches of rain is nothing for our drought deprived area (we have hardly gotten any rain lately!), 


And let me say we get 55mph gusts all through the entire month of April. It will be interesting to see sustained winds of 35-55mph. In April, it's wind gusts, not sustained winds.

If you told me we'd be getting 15 inches of rain like they are predicting for the coastal areas, well then I'd certainly be shakin' in my boots! I will say though that I don't like the increased possibility of tornadoes!


I say Whoopie Do now, I'll probably be freaking out on Saturday! Ha!

Tropical Storm Wind Watch

...TROPICAL STORM WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

...NEW INFORMATION...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FORT WORTH HAS ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WIND WATCH FOR CENTRAL AND NORTHERN PARTS OF NORTH TEXAS.

...AREAS AFFECTED...

THIS STATEMENT RECOMMENDS ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN BY PERSONS IN... NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS AND NORTHEAST TEXAS.

...WATCHES/WARNINGS...

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR AREAS ALONG AND EAST OF A BONHAM TO TERRELL TO CAMERON LINE ON SATURDAY AND EARLY SUNDAY.

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN INLAND TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS WINDS IN EXCESS OF 40 MPH ARE EXPECTED DUE TO IKE ON SATURDAY AND EARLY SUNDAY.

DUE TO THE WINDY CONDITIONS EXPECTED...LIGHT-WEIGHT OBJECTS SUCH AS TRASH CANS AND LAWN CHAIRS SHOULD BE SECURED...AS THEY CAN EASILY BECOME PROJECTILES IN HIGH WINDS. POWER OUTAGES MAY BE POSSIBLE...SO HAVE FLASHLIGHTS AND BATTERIES ON HAND.

...WINDS...

AS IKE MOVES NORTH OVER EAST TEXAS...SUSTAINED WINDS FROM 35 TO 45 MPH WILL OCCUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. WIND GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG AND EAST OF A BOWIE TO STEPHENVILLE LINE...INCLUDING THE DALLAS FORT WORTH METRO AREA.

THESE HIGH WINDS MAY RESULT IN POWER OUTAGES AND DAMAGE TO SOME STRUCTURES AND OUTDOOR PROPERTY.

...INLAND FLOODING...

STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED HIGHER TOTALS WILL BE POSSIBLE EAST OF A BONHAM TO KAUFMAN TO CAMERON LINE ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.


So it will be interesting to see how we fare on Saturday. I'm praying we DON'T lose power. Tomorrow we plan to, as they say, batten down the hatches. We have some patio furniture to bring in and some kids toys.

And let us not forget 9/11. It almost slipped my mind with the impending weather coming. Remember in your prayers the friends and families of all those who perished or lost loved ones in the 9/11 tragedies. Remember the passengers and the pilots on the AA and United Air flights; the workers in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, the firemen, the police officers and all of the innocent bystanders.




3 comments:

Melissa said...

The only thing to worry about for your area, from what I understand, is the chance of tornadoes. So, I will still be thinking about and praying for you.

Me said...

It is a big one. My friends in Houston have left. It really sucks to have to evacuate your whole family.

We are finally getting a cool/rainy weekend here and it is just in time for my new Kindle to be delivered tonight!

I'm ready for summer to be over. Even the bottom of my feet got tan this year. We went to the beach every weekend (and alot of evenings after work). I'm tired of working in the yard and I want an excuse to start relaxation mode!

Dawn said...

I hope you do ok! I'm way outside of the "cone of uncertainty" and the weather is scary here today.