Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wow - 30....

At around 1am tomorrow morning (the 14th) I'll turn 30. That is like 3 hours from now. I'll probably be sleeping - ha!

Remember the days when you were young and you were like, am I TEN yet? Am I TWENTY yet - heck TWENTY-ONE!??!! Heck, Joey keeps telling people he's 5 and he's only 4. He wants soo badly to be FIVE!

It's almost different for me. My 20's were growing time for me full of change that was unimaginable.

I always had that blueprint in life. I always wanted to go to college. I knew I wanted to graduate college, get a GOOD job, THEN get married, and have kids. I had dreams about this growing up and I just didn't want to stray from this plan. I surely didn't think TEXAS was in the cards or moving away from family.

Life really throw's stuff at you, doesn't it? Through this experience, I never say 'never'...especially after I said I'd 'never get a mini-van' back in the day, and since I've had TWO. Haha, the joke's on me.

My Past Ten years
Let's recap:
Age - What I did - Year
20 - In college. I got engaged. (98)
21 - Senior - finally. Oh and I'm one of the youngest senior students on campus...Ok, that is so not true, but I was always the 'youngest pup' out there. That is what happens when you are an August birthday - you are the YOUNGEST! (99)
21 - Fresh out of college, move to lower Michigan with Joe and get a nice townhouse apartment and start working full time. (00)
22 - August - Joe finds a job around this time and I get into the swing of being graduated and making my OWN money. (00)
24 - Moved into our first HOUSE and got married to Joe. (02)
24 - Got preggo with Joey (april 03)
25 - Had Joey (Jan 04)
27 - Dec 05 - Grandpa dies :( - 3 weeks later I found out I was preggo with Justin :)
28 - Had Justin Aug (06)
28 - Find out we are moving to Texas (Mar 07)
29 - Move to Texas (Jan 08)
30 - August 08

I guess I really made the most of my 20's.

The hardest part of being 20 was being taken SERIOUSLY. I've ALWAYS had a problem with this. At work I'd sometimes feel like I was the 'kid' on the block, especially since a lot of the people I work with have children MY AGE and let that be known! My co-workers talk about stuff from the 60's and 70's...or even the 80's. They will say, 'Wow, I started at the bank in 82'. Do you know how old I was - FOUR! Some started before I was BORN! That's when you know you are the youngest in your company!

Anyway, here I go into my 30's! Hopefully it will be as wonderful as the past 10 years were for me.

This day in Music
#1 song on my birth day in 78 - Three Times A Lady - Commodores (great song!)
#1 song when I turned 16 - Stay (I Missed You) - Lisa Loeb (another good one!)
#1 song when I turned 18 - Macarena - Los Del Rio (remember this dance?!!)
#1 song when I got married in 02 - Dilemma - Nelly & Kelly Rowland (don't remember this one)

Remember this in 2003 for those in the Midwest? I was driving home from work when all of a sudden, the traffic lights went out and the radio went out to - all the stations. The cell phones didn't work for a little while. It was really weird.

August 14, 2003

Blackout hits Northeast United States

On this day in 2003, a major outage knocked out power across the eastern United States and parts of Canada. Beginning at 4:10 p.m. ET


And what happened in 1978:

President: Jimmy Carter
Vice President: Walter Mondale
Median Household Income: $15,064
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.15

The music we were listening to was Poco, Eagles, Loggins and Messina, James Taylor, Souther, Hillman and Furay Band, Steely Dan, Hall and Oates, along with the Doobie Brothers.

From the Billboard Top 100
1. Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb
2. Night Fever - Bee Gees
3. You Light Up My Life - Debby Boone
4. Stayin’ Alive - Bee Gees
5. Kiss You All Over - Exile

There was no cable television, home computer, or cell phone. There were also no CD players or CD’s. The Walkman was the latest innovation.

On the Television
For Children: Schoolhouse Rock
Daytime Talk: Donahue
Comedy: All in the Family

Cast of Saturday Night Live: John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin, Laraine Newman, Bill Murray, and Don Novello with the Paul Shaffer Orchestra.

At the Theater
The Deer Hunter, Midnight Express, Heaven Can Wait, Coming Home

In Sports
Muhammad Ali beat Leon Spinks for the world heavyweight boxing title.
Pete Rose of the Cincinnati Reds had his 3000th major league hit.

The comic strip character, Garfield, first appeared.

I was actually able to dig up my senior photos. I was 17 when these were taken. Yeah, don't we all wish we looked like we did in high school? I was skinny once :)




9 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! Happy birthday to you! :) You've really got a great outlook going into it.

You know, I remember that blackout. I was in a hotel in Pennsylvania and the stupid fire alarm kept going off everytime the power came back on. It was a fun trip! LOL

I hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!

Lorrie said...

Hi brianna,
Hope you have a wonderful birthday, how fun looking back through the years, huh?
I'll be 43 next month. UGH.
Turning 30 didn't bother me at all.
Turning 40 was HARD...

Kip said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Briana!

Savvy Enid said...

Welcome to the 30's.... is so much fun! I will be 33 in a couple of months! Have fun, and enjoy your month!

Melissa said...

Welcome to the 30s chic!! Happy Birthday!!

Me said...

Happy Birthday!

And I totally remember when I was 30 and I said things like "remember when I was young"... now I realize that 30 is still just a baby and you can't possibly know that until you live some more.

Imagine even more changes in the next 10 years, more than you had in the last 10... and you kinda get a sense of how different your life is going to be.

Caroline said...

Happy Birthday you old lady:-) Finally you caught up to me....

Janet said...

Happy Birthday!!

Rhea said...

Cute photos! Happy Birthday a little late. I'm 31, so we're just about the same age. :o)