Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Parenting 21 years ago....

I saved this from a parenting magazine and thought it was funny to see how far parent's have come since WE were kids - 21 years ago - OIY!

PS - I was 9 years old!

What was hot in 1987:

  • Toys - Talking Cabbage Patch Dolls, Koosh Balls (I know both of these!)
  • Music - Raffi's Everything Grows (no clue)
  • Cereal - Crispy Critters and Cocoa Pebbles (I know the second)
  • Saturday Morning Tv - Care Bears, ALF, Pee-wee's Playhouse and He-Man (Loved all of them!)
  • Prime Time - Cosby Show, Growing Pains (These were GREAT!)
  • Candy - Big League Chew, Ring pops (loved both of these!)
  • Book - Where's Waldo (who didn't have this book!?)
  • Kid's Movies - The Princess Bride and Harry and the Hendersons (flashback!!)
Isn't that a RIOT?!

Here's what else it said (from Parenting May 07)
  • If you were at a playground and wanted to call a friend, you had to pack up your toddler, go looking for a pay phone, and hope you had change at the bottom of your diaper bag!
  • If you heard the word web - you thought of the book Charlotte's web. There was a good chance you've never even BEEN ON a computer. Online meant you were at the supermarket or at the post office! ha!
  • You probably didn't worry about overscheduling your child, whether baby's food was organic and trying to find a prenatal yoga class.
How about THAT blast back in time?!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

That brings back some memories!!! I love me some Cosby show!!!

oº˚ Anissa ˚ºo said...

I feel so old now! Thanks for stopping by today. Hope to keep chatting with you.

Dawn said...

Is your Picadilly a buffet style restaurant? We have a lot of them here, but I don't know if i've seen them in other states.

Amy said...

I was 17 back in 1987, so I didn't have any of the toys (obviously) but it was nice to think back. :)

Sydney said...

That definitely brings back some memories. It's also reminder of how much simpler things seems to be back then. (though I still don't worry about yoga and organics!)

Blog Stalker said...

Very reflective post. I loved the eighties and am brave enough to admit it! Glad I finally threw out the parachute pants though

lol

Tracy P. said...

What a gorgeous and fun blog! I remember Raffi well--I used it when I was teaching.

Your bedtime conversation with your boys was SO sweet!

Thanks for visiting the state fair (and yes, the butter sculptures) with me!

jen said...

Ahhh...memories! My fiance and I were just having a conversation about the simplicity of our childhoods a couple weeks back. It's just seems so complicated and plugged-in now. Is it worth fighting the technology? Things to ponder.

Hippie Family... said...

crazy to think of when we were kids how things happened and now everything expires, changes and is tossed away..

thanks for stopping by my blog today with BATW.. :D I'll have to come back and check in on your cute blog too!

Janet said...

Your scrapblog header looks great!

Z's Mom said...

That is so funny. Its amazing we're all still alive with the things they tell us to never have our children do today!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! :)

Melissa said...

How funny! In 87 I was 7 years old and I do remember most of those things.

LOVE your new journal theme. Very cute!!!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I had SO forgotten about Big League chewing gum! LOVED it!

And I love your night-night stories about your son. My daughter used to do that - tell me I hadn't hugged her 'enough' that day. Too sweet!

Thanks for stopping by Missouri today!